As more and more businesses move their operations to the cloud, the cost of cloud services has become a significant factor in determining the feasibility and sustainability of cloud adoption. Microsoft Azure is one of the most popular cloud platforms available, but managing Azure spend can be a daunting task. In this blog article, we’ll discuss some of the ways you can save businesses money on their Azure spend.
- Monitor and optimize resource usage One of the primary ways to save money on Azure is to monitor and optimize your resource usage. Azure provides tools such as Azure Monitor, Azure Advisor, and Azure Cost Management + Billing that can help you keep track of your usage and identify opportunities to optimize costs.
Azure Advisor provides recommendations on how to optimize your resources by identifying underutilized or oversized resources, deleting unused resources, and reducing the number of virtual machines (VMs) that are running. By optimizing your resource usage, you can significantly reduce your Azure spend.
- Use Azure reservations Azure reservations allow you to save money on your compute resources by committing to using them for a set period. By purchasing a reservation for a VM or other resource, you can save up to 72% compared to pay-as-you-go pricing.
Reservations are available for virtual machines, SQL databases, and other Azure services. They require an upfront payment, but the savings can be significant, especially for long-term projects.
- Utilize Azure Hybrid Benefits Azure Hybrid Benefits allow you to use your existing on-premises licenses for Windows Server, SQL Server, and other Microsoft software on Azure. By taking advantage of these benefits, you can save up to 40% on Azure VMs’ cost.
To use Azure Hybrid Benefits, you need to have active Software Assurance on your on-premises licenses. Once you’ve confirmed your eligibility, you can apply the benefits to your Azure VMs.
- Set spending limits and alerts Azure Cost Management + Billing allows you to set spending limits and alerts to ensure you don’t exceed your budget. You can set alerts for specific resource groups, services, or spending categories. You can also receive notifications when your spending approaches a set threshold.
By setting spending limits and alerts, you can keep your Azure spend under control and avoid unexpected charges.
- Use serverless computing Serverless computing allows you to run your applications without the need to manage and maintain servers. Azure provides several serverless computing options, including Azure Functions and Logic Apps.
By using serverless computing, you only pay for the resources used by your application. You can significantly reduce your Azure spend by eliminating the need to manage and maintain servers.
In conclusion, managing Azure spend is critical for businesses that use the cloud platform. By monitoring and optimizing resource usage, using reservations and Azure Hybrid Benefits, setting spending limits and alerts, and utilizing serverless computing, you can save your business a considerable amount of money. With the right tools and strategies, managing Azure spend can be an easy and manageable task. Find out how we can help you at www.rbs.uk.net